Traditionally we've ordered our Thanksgiving turkey from HoneyBaked Ham but this year we decided to do our own using our marinade and barbecue sauce. Since this was the first time we have ever attempted to prepare the turkey ourselves we did not know what to expect. I must say that this first attempt went better than expected and the turkey tasted great. A few of our friends that stopped by as a part of their trot said this was "the best turkey they have ever had".
- Turkey (ours was 16 lbs)
- 1 jar Jammin' Jerk Marinade
- 1 bottle Smokin' Jerk Barbecue sauce
- Fresh herb blend for (thyme, rosemary, oregano, tarragon, garlic, all spice)
- Reynolds oven bag
- Marinade syringe
- Blender (blend the jerk marinade to reduce particle size for syringe)
- Inject Jammin' Jerk Marinade into the meaty areas of the turkey
- Combine remaining blended Jammin' Jerk Marinade with Smokin' Barbecue Sauce and rub on the skin, beneath the skin and exposed areas.
- Place the herb blend in the inner cavity of the turkey.
- Place the turkey in oven bag, close, and refrigerate for 3 days.
- Follow cooking direction for the turkey - ours cooked for 3 hours in the oven.
- Remove and let sit for several minutes until turkey is cool enough to remove from oven bag.
- Carve, serve, and enjoy.
- November 27, 2015
- Nature's Kitchen